Thinking about blue ukulele

Probably taking most inspiration from this painting called Mandora by Georges Braque

http://www.georgesbraque.org/images/gallery/mandora.jpg Viewed 2 June 2019

It shows the fragmenting and how I might be able to delineate the ukulele body with shading. It also has line which I plan to add over the top of the patches in stitch.I’m also thinking of adding labelling of ukulele parts. Sort of a nod to another modern art movement constructivism. And of course I am referencing cubism by making the quilt out of patches that are constituted of different views of the ukulele in cyanotype. So I’ll do photograms of different views and compile to make a larger than life ukulele. And the views are differing in another sense too in that they are photograms.

I

Fragments of Calm

Carolyn and I are doing a project we hope to exhibit later in the year. It’s about the calming effects of sewing and externalising and stitching down our multitude of anxieties. I had meant to document it earlier but I’ll do it now instead.

April 1

April 2

April 3

April 4

April 5

April 6

April 7

April 8

April 9

April 10

And that is the first ten days 😀

New Beginnings

I’ve been struggling to push all the OCA stuff down now that I have dropped out of that and plan to continue to use my domain name to put in my own personal research and work plans.

I’ve completed my BFA last year and this year am just trying to enter a bunch of exhibitions, mostly quilting, but also others, with a view to having ongoing goals this year. Then next year I hope to do honours, because I really miss the place and the people and want to continue to pursue an art focus into my golden years 🙂

 

Project three, Experimenting and taking risks

I’d like to think I’ve already done lots of experimenting, because I claim that as my thing, but in this project I will try and push it to extremes even for me. I’m excited to get started.

Lying awake last night when I should have been sleeping before work thinking about experimenting I could do:

-Very thick yarn with central white core and cloud of blue thread. Bulky enough that it could be displayed on its own. Maybe it could be arranged in a triangle like a shell. Maybe needle felted to turn back into a flat work

-nest of shredded fabric held together with stitch. Not too adventurous but maybe I’ll try it unbacked so it has light through.

-green rug pulled stitching thread and yarn.

-heavily worked and built up surface to look rusted. Maybe rust stained and then work the turtle surface around that

– manipulate fabric with heat

– resist lines crackle on cyanotype. Maybe I can create these simply by crushing the fabric before exposure. Layered cyanotype some sort of glue resist or wax resist

– hone in on super detail of one of the drawings

-build up imagery and texture with multiple layers of organza

– make cyanotype transparencies that could be layered and also allow repetition for more cyanotypes😀

Thread tangle substrate

The first of my experimental textiles. This is a substrate made from a crocheted thread tangle with the addition of further tangle stitching. It’s only very small because it took ages and I’m not sure this is the most effective way of achieving this sort of substrate. I have painted it with paint and textile medium and this keeps it together a bit and more like 2d substrate to work on.

Thread as substrate and fabric as thread

Here I have used stone paper as a stabiliser but then tried to build up a surface with thread. As this is just a tester I haven’t taken it as far as it could go. Then I’ve use torn fabric as my thread for stitching. Same sort of thing could be done on water soluble vilene to make it an entirely thread substrate.

Yarn as fabric

Here I have taken the tangle thread to a further extreme by repeatedly sewing sock wool over water soluble vilene and then washing away the vilene. This has produced quite a stable complex fabric that is easy to stitch into. More subtle colouring of the wool would be better so it was more about texture and less colour contrast.

Next I am looking at distressing fabric with the use of repeated cyanotype exposure, bleaching with washing powder, rusting and toning with tannins.

Photo here

Stitch will also be added in an attempt to reference the turtles back drawing.