Deconstructing colour as yarn. (4.4)

The watercolour line paintings were used to guide the colours and translucency of the materials I have chosen to deconstruct and create yarn.

Rope is deconstructed progressively until I discover it it’s made of a monofilament of nylon fused with a softer fluffy nylon thread. I have manipulated the photograph here to highlight the finer threads which didn’t show well on their original white background.

Cotton yarn is unplyed and then the single is further drafted out and reknotted as it was too delicate to stay together.

Loosely woven teatowel is pulled apart and partially unpicked. I did try to remove whole threads to simply open the weave more but that proved too difficult to hold together so I had to make a few cuts to facilitate removal of some of the thread. If I had done it with a larger piece of fabric and then cut the loose weave out later it may have worked.

Even though I cut this seemingly holey sponge as thin as I could it doesn’t really give the airy look that I am going for.

I considered these deconstructed straws some of the more successful. It is helped by the translucency being evident even in the original straws.

Again this starting solid material isn’t too solid already and the deconstruction here is pretty basic but the resulting yarn is a successful light airy yarn.

Some less successful attempts. The left hand cotton interlock tape has not deconstructed at this point to be light and airy. If I continued the process and went over it again with scissors I could probably open it up a bit more.

In the centre is a piece of hand dyed silk/hemp. The surrounding yarn is actually just tangled yarn retrieved from the dryer. I tried to emulate this on the right by washing, manipulating and drying a piece of the silk/hemp but it has not unwound enough in the washing. Again if I had worked with a large piece and then just pulled my “yarn” off the edge at the end I may have had more success.