Translation through yarn (3.2)

This was my first attempt at representing the colour in my Vermeer postcard with thread and yarn. For this attempt I did not blend anything but used what I had with me. At this stage I could not purchase anything but I had planned ahead and brought thread and yarn with me. This is a unsubtle representation of the colour and it was much too messy as I had difficult keeping the thread taut as my card was too soft and caved in.

For my second attempt I took on board the suggestions from the facebook page of double sided tape and stiffer card and used toilet roll inserts to provide a curved surface that was easy to wrap, and then flattened these. Still not sure how I will mount these in a book but I am thinking about sliding a card through the middle and then using slits in my page to secure it from the back. In the top one I have used purchased ribbons and trims that I have tried to match in store now that we were in a city again. And for the bottom one I have used threads that I have blended using a hand spindle. I think the blended threads give quite a goo representation of the colour and more subtle that the ribbons which were all still not quite right. I have not kept strictly to the proportions in the photo but rather given emphasis to the red blue and yellow which seem key to the painting to me.

And finally I just wanted to try a little weaving using a combination of the trims and blended threads. I have organised this from top to bottom trying to keep proportions roughly correct. I think it makes a more interesting colour study to use a range of textures but I would have preferred a cleaner edge like I could achieve with the wraps. Still I spent a lot of time on proportion and examination of the colour in the postcard and the threads and I think I will include it.

I had a lot of fun trying to blend threads to match the colours and I was surprised to find that I could include complementaries as I would in painting to change the overall colour. I had to be careful they were similar in tone but if this was the case then even quite disparate colours would blend to create a new colour.

I can really see how this unit is giving us the groundwork for textile art and a variety of tools to use to create different effects.