Was taking my time on the intro project because I was going by the online pdf which had the intro project as the whole work for Assignment one. Went into a bit of a spin when I realised that my hard copy of the course guide was a later version and had assignment one as the intro project and the first three projects. Had to extend my deadline because of this but now need to move on to the next bits rather than any more time on the intro project. I haven’t done any really big ones or worked up any ideas but I’ll leave it for now and come back if I feel like it or if I have time. Probably more sensible to put the effort into the upcoming bits as I don’t think the intro project is formally assessed.
I enjoyed doing the project although I must admit that I’m eager to move on to textiles. Still, pretty much free drawing was enjoyable and I loved using the watercolour even if it was only black. Reminded me of tusche on a litho stone.
Thinking my blog is a lot more basic that some of the others. I’m including everything because I don’t plan to send anything heavy to the UK.
Top half is scratched to direct the watercolour along these channels.
Attempted to burnish the bottom half of the paper to make it smooth but didn’t really alter the characteristics of the paper which still looks rough. But the flow pattern is different. This paper was also bulging down the centre. Worked well to apply the watercolour at the top of the bulge and the rest of the drawing just drew itself as it dried. My kind of drawing. 🙂
Based on this close up
This is just a drawing of the holes in the shell. Fine holes are made with a needle to reflect the tiny linear holes in the shell and the central hole is puddled with black watercolour until it is deep black.
Actually find this minimalist approach quite evocative.
Tried scratching the outlines of a whole picture into a piece of A3 paper with a stanley knife. Difficult because I couldn’t see what I had done. Then I painted over the whole sheet of paper and the lines individually hoping to fill the channels with watercolour.
Only limited success. The lines don’t stand out as much as they do in the little flower drawing, but still works in principle. Plus gave me a very free drawing because it has been defined by marks that I couldn’t easily see as I was making them.
Looking at ways of illustrating the texture of the printed flowers on the beach towel.
First I have tried adding dots of glue to raise up the texture of the paper. Gives an interesting effect but fairly dominating like dots and not an accurate representation of towel texture.
Next I have very smooth yupo paper as the base and tried to draw texture with watercolour. Mild success I would say.
Thirdly I have textured the paper with a stanley knife prior to doing a little tester painting. I was very happy with the way the watercolour went into the channels giving the appearance of a drypoint. Excited by this.
Trying to illustrate the sparkle of the flecks of reflected light in the snowdome, contrasting with the texture in the base. Have created the geometric sparkles by leaving them white. Idea is ok I think but the appearance is flat and not like a sparkly glossy dome. Should have varied the size of sparkles from front to back to give more depth, and also considered varying the sharpness of the white from foreground to background.
Puddled watercolour in the base was quite successful in creating texture.
Size is A3 squared off if you can imagine that.
Tried stamping directly from my objects using watercolour. It’s difficult to get much transfer with watercolour but left me with just a suggestion of the objects. Don’t really find this one that interesting. Thinking I might have liked this composition better if it had have been asymmetrically placed on a larger piece of paper.