Colour matching. Gouache studies 3.1 Part One

Started on my colour matching fabric with gouache today. Took me ages to do the first one but it was fun.

Had some ideas about other colour matching that I could do in parallel. I want my book to record the colour palette of the landscape here as well as the other palettes.

Thinking about crocheting or knitting small colour squares out of the silk thread I have been dyeing while I’m here. Then I could place them on a piece of pater and extend the squares around in the same colour gouache paint.  Same with some of my dyed fabric. And finally I could use the landscape palette by directly making chips in the outdoors- green dirt, green leaves and blue sky. I’ve also taken some photos dedicated to the colour and I will take some more. All the fabric I’m dyeing and the yarn and fleece I’m dyeing is in an attempt to capture the local palette and also have the raw material to create an artwork in this central Australian palette. Possibly I will use this to make an “Ebb and Flow” themed quilt for the Tasmania Art Quilt prize next year.
I’d also like to digitally colour match in Adobe draw for my digital sketchbook.

I brought some Liberty fabric with me because I knew there would be no fabric shops to pick up some fabric. I had a great time in Melbourne going to Tessuti fabrics and selecting some patterned fabric.

I chose the far left fabric to do my first colour matching exercise. It was much tougher than I anticipated and I kept seeing extra colours in it.

It took me all these chips to get the correct colours. I haven’t got around to cutting out the correct chips yet but I will post when I have sorted. One thing I discovered in doing this exercise is that all the colours that I thought were bright colours, were nonetheless muted down from pure single colours by the use of some complementary.

And for the neutral fabric I used a piece of vintage silk. There were a range of colours to be seen created by the shiny or flat texture or the raised stitching and shadows.

Lots of swatches here because I struggled to decide what the hint of colour was in the shadows. In the end I decided to add a bit of green, the complementary of the pinky yellow cream of the unshadowed areas. Once again I haven’t yet cut out the correct chips but will include them once I have done that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s