Working on works for Assignment Two


Assembled this made from non woven material and an old towel as padding. Thinking of using this as an embossed work with a piece organza over the top and sew down around the shapes. Started to do this but unhappy with the clunkiness of it. Not possible to get the organza to sit tight enough to really give the embossed look. I like the look of the fine non woven net in the square which is not visible in the photo but also lost under the organza. 

Going to restart and this time cut a square out of a disposable towel I found at work and work a stitched net in the background. Considering using some of my embossed look fabric and my found red grid on the surface of the towel as other references to embossing. 


Using Joomchi like bonding I tried to bind two layers of organza with silk fibre in between. I did a lot of work on this and ended up having to machine stitch to hold the layers together anyway. They did not bond in the sculpted fashion that paper did. I wanted to use this because a lot of effort had been put in but it’s not right. The thick lines do not evoke the fine mesh of my red collage or the drapy lines of the sewn paper sample. It doesn’t even refer to the graphic T shape because it’s so tatty.  I think it needs to be put aside unfortunately. 


I think this large piece of dyed silk organza is what I will use instead. It is life size as clothing and I am thinking of sewing fine lines vertically with dark thread left to float free at the bottom. Simple sewing to highlight the drapy line. I’m thinking that because it is very thin material I will be able to utilise the fact that the lines will be seen from underneath as from the top. So will try intertwined lines as in my drawing and the paper sample. I’m aware that these are a series and thinking about linkage between the three. It is basically likely to be the red colour, and I plan to use only red and “black” thread. My black thread is hand dyed so it’s really more of a rich dark brown. I do have other threads with me too but I don’t usually work with much pure black. 



Here is another failed fabric Joomchi attempt. This is two layers of dyed raw silk that is bound together with milk silk. It is holding together enough to use but I have not been able to get the inner fibres to migrate to the surfaces. Thinking that I might be able to pull some of the fibres up with stitching. 

Plan here is probably to use this as a stiffer base. Possibly I will cut it into the T shape before stitching heavily over this with small stitches in the shape of a T possibly in a range of sizes or at odd angles as in my collage sample.


I’m not sure but I need to get started with these or they will not be done in time. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s